If you plan on taking surf lessons in Charleston, SC, then why not learn some interesting facts about surfing? Here is some lingo and information that may impress your teacher!
1. “Men in grey suits” refers, in the surfing world, to sharks.
2. “Beach leech” is a term used for surfers who don’t bring their own wax or equipment and borrow from others.
3. “Benny” means a nonlocal surfer.
4. “Barney” is an inexperienced surfer.
5. “Hodad” is a person who hangs out at the beach and pretends to be a surfer.
6. “Neptune cocktail” is when a surfer wipes out and takes in a large gulp of seawater.
7. “Hang eleven” is when a male surfer rides his board completely naked.
8. “Drop in” is when you steal somebody’s wave. This is one of the worst things that you can do.
9. Surfing is one of the oldest sports on earth.
10. California is home to the first large surf competition. It took place in 1928 in Corona del Mar.
11. Duke Kahanamoku is considered the “Father of Modern Surfing.” He was an Olympic swimmer that started a surf club in HI.
12. While surfing actress Cameron Diaz broke her nose 4 times.
13. Kelly Slater, from Florida, has won the ASP World Tour Championship 11 times. He is the oldest and youngest to win and he scored, for the first time ever, two “perfect 10” rides in 2005 at the Billabong Tahiti Pro Contest.
14. In 1959 Linda Benson, at only 15, was the first woman to surf Waimea Bay and to be on the cover of a surf magazine.
15. The longest surfing marathon was 29 hours and 1 minute. The record is held by Kurtis Loftus, who was 50 years old at the time. The record was made in Jacksonville Beach, FL in October of 2011.
16. In March, 2005 the record of 47 people on one surfboard was made. The surfboard measured 39’ and this took place in Australia.
17. The “Pipeline” is one of the most photographed and most famous waves.
So, there you have it, some interesting facts and surfer language to know. Have fun using this knowledge during your surf lessons in Charleston, SC!
Be the first to like.