Worried about Carbon Monoxide? Buy an Alarm System

Posted by Daniel Lawrence on March, 2018

Many homeowners don’t realize it, but carbon monoxide (CO) can be found in their homes. Most of the time, the levels are low enough to be a nonissue. However, it’s a poisonous gas that you can’t see or smell, so even small amounts could be harmful or could cause you to pass out or even die. Because it is invisible and odorless, it is essential that you have an alarm system in place that alerts you when there are high levels of CO in the air.

Early Warning

The goal for most homeowners is to be alerted before situations arise. While smoke alarms wait until there is smoke or fire present, it still gives a signal to let you know to get out of the house. Because carbon monoxide has no smell and can’t be seen, you may not even know that you’re inhaling it. The alarm system is designed to alert you when the CO levels accumulate to high levels over time. They will also go off before most people in the home start getting symptoms of CO poisoning. You’ll have plenty of time to get out of the house or open a window to let some of the accumulating CO out.

Heat-Producing Items Give Off CO

Most people don’t realize that any heat-producing appliance in their home produces CO. For example, stoves, hot-water heaters, and even refrigerators can produce this poisonous gas, though it is usually in low amounts, so you don’t even notice it. However, if you’re baking a lot for the holidays, using the dryer more frequently or taking longer showers, the buildup of this gas can get too high, causing headaches and other symptoms. When you have a detection system, you’ll be alerted to the problem sooner, meaning you can air out the house or go outside for fresh air.

Most appliances can give off Carbon Monoxide, though it doesn’t usually hurt you. Visit First Alert online to find an Carbon Monoxide alarm system to prevent accidental exposure or death. View them on Youtube.

3 people like this post.

Be Sociable, Share!