Most older people want to remain in their own homes as long as possible, but there may come a time when that isn’t possible. Their home may no longer be suitable for a variety of reasons. Perhaps their vision has made it impossible for them to drive. Living with a family member may not be a viable solution.
Assisted living is a form of elder care in Farmington CT that works well for many seniors. When living alone is no longer an option, assisted living can be an excellent solution. It allows seniors to maintain a degree of independence while support and assistance are available.
Here are some tips on what to look for when searching for an assisted living facility for your loved one.
Are There any Unpleasant Odors?
Everything should be clean and smell fresh.
* How clean are baseboards and corners?
* How often does housekeeping come in?
* What are the laundry procedures?
Visit During a Scheduled Activity
Ask if you can watch during a planned event.
* Do both residents and staff seem to be enjoying themselves?
* What is the level of participation?
* Would your loved one enjoy participating?
* What types of events are customary?
* Are trips planned out of the community?
* What religious services are available?
Ask to Eat a Meal
This offers an opportunity to sample the food and meet some of the residents.
* Can meals be brought to rooms if needed?
* What special diets are accommodated?
How Friendly Are the Staff?
This is extremely important, particularly for staff members who interact with residents daily.
* Do they listen to residents?
* What is the average staff turnover?
* Talk to management about the goals of the facility.
Do Residents Use the Outdoor Areas?
* Visit on a sunny day and observer if residents are enjoying time outdoors.
* Is the area secure?
Shady Oaks Assisted Living offers an unconventional approach to Elder Care in Farmington CT. Seniors enjoy living in a friendly, home-like environment with many opportunities to engage their minds and interest in life.
Shady Oaks offers:
* Delicious and nutritious home-cooked meals with accommodations for special diets
* Private or shared suites
* Emergency call systems
* Salon and barber shops in-house
* Many scheduled social events and activities
* Relaxing outdoor areas and enclosed porches
* Well-trained, friendly and compassionate staff
At Shady Oaks, they do not believe in the common institutional approach but are dedicated to making each resident feel appreciated and as if they are at home.
Be the first to like.